Latest News

Read the latest information on HeartLine

Jul 31, 2012

By HeartLine Administrator

Christmas and Holiday Assistance

Christmas assistance…? Are we already receiveing calls for holiday assitance?

Due to difficult economic times, demand for holiday help is expected to be extremely high this year. Local nonprofits, faith-based organizations and community partners are coming together to distribute holiday joy for those in need for 2012.

Last year, HeartLine gave out 4,745 referrals for 111 different agencies for programs ranging from holiday community meals, food boxes and pantries for Thanksgiving and Christmas, to holiday gifts and adoption programs for children and families.

Christmas Connection, an agency that treats those in need with dignity and respect, is one of HeartLine’s top referrals for holiday assistance. Of the 4,745 referrals, 1,440 callers were referred to Christmas Connection  for  holiday assistance. Although some may think that Christmas comes around only once a year, Christmas Connection offers Oklahomans the spirit of giving all year round with their School Supply program, Disaster Response program, Senior First program and Household Goods program.

Now is a great time to start planning for the holidays and connecting to resources in your area. To find holiday and Christmas resources in your area, call 2-1-1 or search our  2-1-1 database online.

This blog brought to you by: Danielle Harris, Resource Database Specialist

Comments

by Tara Boulais @ August 22, 2012 @ 3:15 am • Reply

I’m a single disabled mother of three I receive Ssi and recently lost my partime job I’m struggling right now and Christmas even though a few months away I know buying Christmas gifts and dinner will be impossible I just bought school clothes and have zero in savings my kids are good and deserve more than I can give my daughter is three and I don’t want her to be disappointed if you need any other infomation I will provide ASAP before falling I’ll with ms I worked 40hrs weekly but at times my disabity is debilitatting making full time work impossible thank you for your time and consideration

by ryates @ August 23, 2012 @ 4:39 pm • Reply

Hi Tara. Have you tried calling 211? We can search our database for holiday assistance in your area. Like 911 or 411, you can call 211 directly to be connected to help. Just select Option 9 to be connected to a call specialist. Let them know you need help with Christmas assistance and the call specialist will let you know what’s available. If you are in OK county you can contact Christmas Connection at 405-634-2006 or http://www.christmasconnection.org. Hope this helps! We’ll email you next week sometime to find out if you got some help. Thank you for contacting us.

by Katrina @ September 25, 2012 @ 11:16 am • Reply

Looking for Christmas help for 3 special needs kids.
I have tried my hardest to make sure that they have a roof over there head, clothes for school, school supplies, and food but with the way things are getting it is getting harder and harder…needing help because can not afford gifts for the kids.

by lharper @ September 27, 2012 @ 10:52 am • Reply

Hi Katrina, have you tried calling into 2-1-1 for assistance? There are many different agencies in our database and there may be one that can help with your situation! I encourage you to call 2-1-1 to see if we can connect you to some resources for Christmas.

by jessica @ October 1, 2012 @ 11:33 am • Reply

I was wondering if you are able to help me for chirstmas assistance and how I can go about signing up my family? I live in Minnesota i don’t know if that makes a differance?

by lharper @ October 16, 2012 @ 2:56 pm • Reply

Jessica, Minnesota does have a 2-1-1 service!HeartLine only answers for 40 counties in the western half of Oklahoma, but you can dial 2-1-1 in Minnesota and a call center there will take your call and look for Christmas resources.

by miss butler @ October 3, 2012 @ 3:42 am • Reply

Thank you very much 2-1-1 is very helpful!

by ebony whittier @ October 8, 2012 @ 12:21 pm • Reply

i was trying to find out how do i go about getting assistance for my kids christmas my finances is really messed up and i’m trying to get a fridge due to mine going out in the early part of summer and a washer also it has really been hard for me an my boys but i have done my best to maintain so my boys wont see me down they will never no what im going through and hate to have to ask for help but what else do i do

by lharper @ October 16, 2012 @ 3:02 pm • Reply

Hi Ebony, we understand that things can be difficult sometimes and HeartLine 2-1-1 is here to try to offer some resources for help. You can try a few different things to get assistance for Christmas. You can call 2-1-1 and we will look up any available resources, register with toys for tots at their website, or call churches near you and see if they are offering assistance to local families.

by Melody Russell @ October 10, 2012 @ 2:21 pm • Reply

Hello, I am a single mother of two children. I am having finacial difficulties right now and struggling to make ends meet. I am a State Tested Nursing Assistant ,but unable to find a job because of my background. People change and I need someone to give me a chance. In the mean time if anyone can help out with christmas please let me know. Thanks so much.

by lharper @ October 16, 2012 @ 2:35 pm • Reply

Hi Melody, there a few different resources available that may be able to help with Christmas. First you can call 2-1-1 to see if there are any programs with openings right now. If they are full, you can keep checking weekly to see if new funding comes in. Also, you can register at the toys-for-tots website to be considered for recieving toys. Lastly, you can call churches near year and see if they are offering assitance. Some churches will help a few local families and do not wish to be listed in our 2-1-1 database.

by lisa @ October 28, 2012 @ 12:19 pm • Reply

i need gift for 3 special ed kids,and help with christmas food.

by Angela @ November 1, 2012 @ 3:40 pm • Reply

Hi, I’v seen alot of people needing help for Christmas and Salvation Arm in Cleveland County (Norman) 318 E. hayes is still accepting applications till November 15th 2012. Monday-Thursday 12:30-2:30 and a evening sign up date on November 13th from 4pm-8pm, also the local Cleveland County DHS is helping with Christmas assistance as well. Hope this helps anyone :)

by Christina Riley @ November 9, 2012 @ 3:03 pm • Reply

Need help with Christmas brand new single mom of 3 and 1 on the way please any info is helpful !!! =)

by lharper @ November 16, 2012 @ 11:48 am • Reply

Try giving us a call at 2-1-1 to see if we have some resources!You can also register with toys for tots at their website, or call churches near you and see if they are offering assistance to local families.

by Ashlee Thomas @ November 19, 2012 @ 11:12 am • Reply

Hello I live in Mustang OK, we are a family of 2 boys ages 1 & 3. My Husband was just laid off of his Job right before the Holidays. We both are suffering from our diagnosis. We have called 211 and filed for DHS help, but in this area they are not any organizations offering help. We have had to ask for support from our friends but now are due for Heating cut-off. And Electric Cut off. Please can somebody help guide us in the right direction.
our contact number is 405-933-7358 Thank You

by Jackie Hill @ November 21, 2012 @ 12:53 pm • Reply

It is so disheartening to have to ask for help but for my son, I am willing to do this. You see, I have a car but due to promises broken by the dealership I bought it from, I haven’t been able to get it registered or have the title put in my name. It has sat for so long that this summer, the passenger windows shattered when I closed the driver’s side door. Neighborhood children also have decided it’s a playtoy and cracked the windshield and gone through it looking for valuables. Ha ha on them…nothing valuable to anyone but me.

I thought even though we’ve not been able to go to the doctors or get to the store when we need to, that my 18 year old was doing just fine with things as they are. Seems he’s been keeping things from me. He’s not doing all that well in his senior classes…and a lot of that is because he’s unable to stay after school or come in early to talk to his teachers and/or get extra help. In addition, he hasn’t told me about the supplies he needs for classes because he knows we don’t have much money and we couldn’t get to the store anyhow. It breaks my heart. He never complains and willingly walks to the few places he needs or wants to go to. He keeps so much to himself, not wanting me to worry when he thinks I have enough to worry about.

I’ve tried to save the money, but with Social Security and child support as my only income, I have enough to pay my bills with a little extra, but it’s just not possible. I do editing for a friend of mine who is writing a book but the money doesn’t come in til the book is done. I’ve asked for help in every place I can and my family in Minnesota simply cannot afford to help. I’ve even gotten offers to help but it’s always the same…fraudulent money orders and cashiers checks. How people can defraud those asking for help, I’ll never know.

So, I’m not asking for this money for Christmas. It would be enough to simply get the money to get my car back on the road. The amount gets higher every day and right now, it’s at almost $1200 ($1000 for registration, etc, $200 for the down payment to get insurance started. I’ve done my figuring and I can afford insurance, etc after I get it legal). I’ll still have to drive with 2 broken windows but really, I just wouldn’t care. It would be Christmas every time I could say yes to my son when he wanted to go to the library or to the store when he needed something for a class project or even to say yes! I can pick you up late at school or ‘Hey! Let me give you a ride to your friends’. How I would even love to be able to take us to a doctor’s appointment or to the grocery store! I would feel like the richest girl in the world and so much more like a mom than I do now.

Thank you for reading this and even if you can’t help financially, send a prayer or two our way.

by mary farris @ November 27, 2012 @ 5:39 pm • Reply

I am a single mom of two daughters ages 6 & 7, whom are very good students at school & very good at home! I am disabled physically, so I’m unable to work, I make $ 480.00 a month & struggle drastically to pay my bills let alone to be able to celebrate birthdays & Christmas, my girls are thankful & grateful for everything they get, can someone out there make my daughters eyes lite up and shine this holiday season!

by ellen @ November 30, 2012 @ 2:45 am • Reply

I am looking for help for a 4 year old child for christmas.the town where she lives is rural and cant seem to find anyone who services her area,her mommy and daddy have lost their jobs and have just relocated to a new state,,you can email me if you have any idea where i can find help ,Her county is Bradford County in Florida,Her name is Myah you can E mail me ay honeyellen88@yahoo.com also send info to post office box 34 Lawtey Florida 32058 ,Thank you for your help….

by Tracey @ November 30, 2012 @ 2:34 pm • Reply

Hi, I have a full house there is myself and my old man then we have 2 kids a boy and girl one 12 and the other 13. My mom has just moved in around March. I take her weekly to the Nashville VA hospital for mental health problems. My husb of 12 years sister just had a baby girl Nov. 10th 2012. She is unable to take care of the baby herself, so we are now at the start of adoption. I need some help for christmas. I need so much for the new baby I don’t know what I need to do. Please HELP!!! # 615-299-1651

by Autumn @ December 6, 2012 @ 5:08 pm • Reply

Hello,
My husband and I are in need for help with christmas presents for our kids. Together we have 5 kids under our roof, my younger sister 12, my 3 step kids a boy who is about to turn 8 and two girls 6 and years old and also our new baby boy who is almost 3 months. This is the first year we aren’t able to get presents for the kids and I would hate for them to suffer cause of our financiale problems. Please let me know of anything that would help! You can email me at autumnmain@yahoo.com

by Annette Hendricks @ December 11, 2012 @ 12:50 pm • Reply

I am a single mother of 2 beautiful children i recieve an ssi check once a month after paying all my bills this month i dont have any money to get my kids anything for christmas i have one boy and one girl if you can help me out god will truly bless you i live in the richmond virginia area please help me and my kids thanks

by Wil @ December 11, 2012 @ 5:57 pm • Reply

I know its late in the Xmas season but I’m looming for anything for my bro and his kids they are having a really bad time right now and they are not finding any help with it yet any word would be a great one Ty and God bless

by nicole @ December 12, 2012 @ 3:42 pm • Reply

etails I realize I have started my quest for christmas assistance late. It is due to unforseen circumstances that I am seeking help. I don’t want my babies missing out on christmas. If you know of anyone that will help this late please contact me nicole ingram at killacarebear28@gmail.com

by Judy @ December 17, 2012 @ 12:59 pm • Reply

We are risen 6 Grandkids and we just dont have money for Christmas we have a tree but nothing under it ! and it dont look like we will unless I can find a Christmas Angle to help us out Please Help Dont let these kid stop beliving in the spirit of Christmas ( Santa Claus) God Bless you all

by sandra @ December 21, 2012 @ 4:08 pm • Reply

I am a single mother with 3 kids.Have been through experienced so much as a child till my adult life.My kids are my life and all I would like is to give them a Christmas that they deserve.I had nothing growing up and as an adult I have allowed myself to be part of a violent relationship which my kids saw. All I want is to see them be kids and smile.Because they deserve what I haven’t been able to provide.I provide the things we need but its hard to provide the things that they want and deserve.So any help for Christmas would be greatly apprietiated.Thanks